Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My first search plugin

Have you ever had issue with a forum that will only allow searching for keywords longer than 3 characters. One forum I frequent often is www.pbxinaflash.com/forum. This is a great forum but the problem is the search functionality of the forum only allows for anything over 3 characters.
This is a problem when searching for things like "SIP, IAX, FAX, XEN" etc.

So I created my first open search plugin. Open search plugins are small XML files that add a search enginge to your Firefox or IE search box.

Here's how I did it.
  • in Firefox I installed this plugin Add to Search Bar :: Firefox Add-ons
  • then used Google advanced search to search the forum
  • and saved this as a search
  • I used this search myself for a month or so and then thought I would share it with others

Originally posted as draft by Robin 23-Apr-09.

No comments: